Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A better search engine?

Hi all,
I'd like to ask your opinions, since you are the most tech-savvy people I know! One of my colleagues in my dept is a computational linguist, and he is a collaborator on a new search engine which he says is better than Google. The idea is that the search is based not on key words but on the *meanings* of actual phrases and sentences. The beta version is at:

http://www.hakia.com/

Could you guys check it out and tell me what you think? They are still developing it but the real version is supposed to appear later in the year.

Here is a video of my colleague talking about the theory behind it (click on the second video from the top):

http://www.hakia.com/technology.html

-Wolfie

3 Comments:

Blogger lkmanitou said...

I gave hakia a go this morning. I must say that I do like the simple interface and quick response times. Inquiries returned meaningful results when querying with full questions or keywords. Only tool lacking in my opinion is an option to limit results by language, especially when I tried querying using purposefully misspelled genomic terms. I've never seen a web search engine that can handle fuzzy logic before; truly neat to see it on that large scale as opposed to just one relatively small system.

8:55 AM

 
Blogger Zoe said...

It seems pretty cool, but I'll have to use it a little before I can give you better feedback.

11:01 AM

 
Blogger laney j. said...

Thanks guys!

4:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home