Thursday, November 03, 2005

Dwarven Leveling

Hail Adventurers,

We need to level up our Dwarven companions. They don't get enough skill points to argue about (2 apiece) but they do get feats.
Seth, our fighter 2 /cleric 1, will be getting 2 feats, one of which must be a fighter feat. How about Precise Shot as his fighter feat so he can throw his spear or hammers into melee without the usual -4 penalty? For his second feat, I'm thinking about Combat Casting which will give him a +4 to his Concentration check when casting on the defensive. Since he has the most HP in the party and tends to be in the middle of the action more than most spellcasters he'll probably be someone who will be trying to heal people at times when it would provoke attacks of opportunity. Any thoughts? For his skill points I'm thinking about 1 point in Weaponsmithing and, call me crazy, but maybe a point in Climb or Jump? His point should go into something that's a class skill for a fighter and there ain't too many of them. What do you think?
For Anath, our fighter 3, I'd love to take Great Cleave but she needs a +4 base attack bonus so she'll have to wait until 4th level for that one. How about Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)? That'll give her a +1 bonus to hit with her waraxe but it's really a stepping stone to Weapon Specialization. Another option is Improved Overrun. I've found myself wishing we could get on the other side of enemies to flank them or just make more room for the people in back but the attack of opportunity thing is always a deterrent. Improved Overrun would eliminate the Attack of Opportunity from the enemy being overrun and gives a +4 bonus to the Stregth check to do it. A successful Overrun attempt also knocks down the enemy being overrun. What do you think? As far as her points go, 1 pt in Intimidate (giving her 5 ranks) and 1 pt in Swim (yeah, I know, but she's got 1 there already so what the heck). What think ye?

4 Comments:

Blogger lkmanitou said...

I agree with the choices for Seth. Precise Shot and Combat Casting will definitely come in handy. Put the extra skill point in Jump that way he can go jumping down the dungeon hallways grunting like the dwarf on Baldur's Gate. :D

For Anath, I'd say getting her Weapon Focus so she can get Great Cleave as early as possible. Always good to have a dwarf with Great Cleavage.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger Zoe said...

I agree. I am assuming that Seth already has point blank shot, I don't remember. I think precise shot and combat casting for seth. I like the skill in weaponsmithing, maybe he can help make arrows and bolts. I think put the other point in jump.
For anath I like weapon focus (dwarven waraxe). I understand the improved overrun, but we really need the tanks to be able to hit, half of our party is pretty squishy. Why not put both points in intimidate, or will that put her over the limit?

2:00 PM

 
Blogger lkmanitou said...

Surprisingly enough, after leveling up this time around, Saphira won't be nearly as squishy as once thought. She has an AF of 18 with 31 hps. Plus, as a favored soul, she gained Weapon Focus(Heavy Mace) automatically.

WRU level 17 so I can get my wings?

2:32 PM

 
Blogger Phollower said...

Sounds like Seth is pretty well set.

Anath doesn't need Weapon Focus to take Great Cleave. She needs to have a base attack bonus of +4, which won't happen unitl she's 4th level. Weapon focus is fine for this feat though. I just thought I'd give an option. I think she can put both points into intimidate. I think she has room. Does that sound ok to everybody?

Mmmmm, manitou wings...

3:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home