Thursday, January 19, 2006

Backstory Idea

Nantucket is a medium size city that acts as a trading hub for a near by port city (here after referred to as city2).

The port is very busy and sees a lot of goods shipped in and out of city2.

The road between Nantucket and city2 is through hostile wilderness. The forest and few mountains between the two cities offer tremendous hiding places for the evil creatures and people of the wilderness. For this reason all attempts to make the roads between the cities safe have been effective only for the short term and have been costly.

Because of this multiple roads between the two cities have developed to make it more difficult for would be ambushers to know what road travelers are using.

Merchants also hire caravan guards to protect their wares. The income from shipping goods overseas and bringing in foreign goods is too good to avoid and allows the merchants the finances to hire a competent guard.

Our party has made a name for itself in these tasks. The druid takes up these tasks to help fight the un-natural evil around his home city as the caravans make good bait. The hybrid nature of our party has helped us take on any encounter to date. The merchants like using our group because we have the abilities of a much larger group of guard without the added cost of more individuals.

From time to time our party takes on other type of work, such as rescuing merchants that have been taken in route, eliminating hostile groups who raid a little too often or set up their dens to close to the cities population.

One such job has just come our way. It is a caravan guard job, but to a place we have not been.

-----------------

So what do you think?

Possible reasons for the others to be part of our party.

Cleric - worshiping a god of nature. The jobs taken by the party lead to the cleric bringing divine justice to the evil in the wilderness, while protecting the good.

Druid - Gives him an opportunity to fight the un-natural on a regular basis.

Bard - The adventures themselves add to the subject matter of our bard’s songs and poetry. As well as getting to share and hear tales from both the port city, far away places and the merchants that travel by land to Nantucket to buy the wares from overseas.

Rogue/Fighter - Opportunity for adventure. Anyone can break into a place in the city to steal. It takes much more skill to break into a den of evil creatures that have horded the loot of caravans. Also the party comes across the remains of caravans which have not made the trip safely. It's a terrible loss of life and all, but that means the chests left behind by the attackers have no owners and are waiting to be opened by a new set of owners.

I figure this gives us a decent reason for being in a party together, while allowing each of us to have our own agenda. Having had these previous adventures we are already adept at working together which will be a must for us to survive our next adventure.

6 Comments:

Blogger lkmanitou said...

hrm...need a catchier city name than "city2" but I like it personally. Of course, personal reasons for joining the group can easily be altered to fit character's alignment/domains/personality.

Crap, I have to resume painting tonight on my new figure. Luckily, by finishing painting her huge 70s hair she's almost half finished. Here's a likeness: Sister Kendra figure

11:00 AM

 
Blogger Zoe said...

I like the back story. Loot and adventure that's what it's all about for me.
Perhaps we all knew each other because we were all regulars at the same pub/tavern.

I'll be finishing up my character afer work. I will post my stats as soon as I finish.

12:27 PM

 
Blogger JskaH said...

I like it too. I would like to add a bit to why I am part of the group since Forest Gnomes do not usually adventure, unless threatened. Something like that it is due to threat to the Forest people and animals due to the raiders in the area. I could have met you all through the druid or you could have met the druid and I in the forest since we might be less likely to hang out in a pub.

1:55 PM

 
Blogger Zoe said...

That is an excellent point you bring up The Dwarf. I'm not sure if the cleric would hang out in a pub either. I'll just say that I read a notice calling for adventureres at the pub I frequent. I answered the notice and that is how I met you guys. I guess that the Druid will be the Roy Greenhilt of the bunch. I'm going to be somewhere between Haley and Belkar.

9:41 AM

 
Blogger lkmanitou said...

I guess I'm Durkon, but not afraid of trees and a bit cuter :)

10:56 AM

 
Blogger Frank said...

And I'll be a cross between Belkar and Thog. Not as mischevious as Belkar but (a bit) smarter than Thog. And with "issues" and therefore popping in and out of the scene.

8:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home